Friday, September 7, 2007

Google Notebooks

I followed the thread in the blog for Google for educators and began playing with Google notebooks. You have to download the app. using a gmail account. It looks like a REALLY cool way to have kids collaborate on line.

I ran into a couple of issues. If anyone knows the answers please post here or email me at kjohnson@pvlearners.net.

#1 To get the app for Google Notebook I had to use a gmail account. My pvlearners.net didn't seem to work. Was I using the wrong password?
#2 Using my personal gmail account I can access the Google Notebook app just fine, but I certainly don't want to be using that account to communicate with students, so that puts me back at issue #1. Is my pvlearners.net usuable in the same way as my gmail account?

Anyone else out there playing with Google Notebook?

Do kids using pvlearners.net have to have a separate gmail account to use the Google Apps and Docs or can they do it through pvlearners?

4 comments:

Judith Gerdin said...

I have been using googles 'Open Notebook' for a year or so and love it. I could not figure out a way to put it together for the students to use with the students as it becomes part of your firefox browser. The student's login would then go to other students if my understanding of the process is correct. I decided to just have them use google bookmarks instead.

Judith Gerdin said...

This is a link that I found in the google educators forum about using google notebooks. It is a bit wordy, but has a nugget of good ideas in it. (IMHO)

http://groups.google.com/group/googleforeducators_submityourlessons/browse_thread/thread/62d7b50a5c517da4

Judith Gerdin said...

With all that, I forgot to answer your question about the google docs. From the homepage, have the students click the link on the upper right frame that says 'Add Stuff.' From the page that comes up they can click the link on the left side top that says 'Google Tools.' One of them is for google docs and spreadsheets and they just then add it.

There is one caveat. When they go to their pvlearners.net homepage, they should access the mail and documents from the top menu bar, not the 'signin' prompt. That just gets them into an abyss of signing up for a gmail account. They will go directly to their pvlearners account applications if they use that top menu bar.

I will put a copy of the handout I made for my students in my public folder when I get back to school on Monday.

Karl Johnson said...

I found that once I create a notebook I can control the sharing to only those collaborators I designate.

I currently experimenting with my daughter to see if it is something that will work.

Each student would need to download the app for Google Notebooks on their own while in pvlearners I would imagine.