Sunday, April 15, 2007

iTunes and Age Appropriate

We have not allowed students to download from iTunes. Are we going to let them download the free music? Are we sure it is ALWAYS elementary appropriate?

The question of iTunes being on the Start Page is a good one. Yes, we have the ability to customize the Gadgets on the Start Page. But, as soon as the user is in, they can change their own interface anyhow - so they can add it back. My thought is many times music, and art, and language, and video will not be age appropriate, nor appropriate period. That is in fact, part of what we have to teach them and the challenge on the web, digital literacy. I can certainly take that gadget away, but bad words are in Dictionary.Com, bad things are on the web, bad things are in YouTube, so ??? I hope this logic makes sense, it is certainly critical to embracing digital literacy in my mind. However, the dialog is good to have - none of us have a crystal ball, so feel free to counter any of the above - I'm just trying to learn – learning helps all of us….

2 comments:

Jeff Billings said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MsK said...

Yeah...I'm all about lots of music...and its a good thing I have my own hallway (well I like to think its my own hallway heh heh) now because we rock out quite often...but something rings wrong having a kid listen to ICP while writing... say...an essay when every other word is fthis ringing in his head ...nope can't have that...this is not an easy one.

Sigh...hummin' some van halen...