Friday, April 20, 2007

pvlearners.net Ideas

I have started this thread to get a list of ideas or ways that this technology opportunity can be used in the classroom. I am describing how I have tweaked existing assignments to incorporate the use of technology. Please add to it as you come up with ideas. Even if you are at a different level or teaching a different subject, your ideas may help me come up with some of my own.

1. Students are submitting homework by email. I will also correct it and return it in the same manner.
2. For a classification activity students generally draw a chart to show relationships of shapes. I am giving them the option of using the google spreadsheet to do the same thing or use the SmartBoard software. I made the 'shapes' on a template and will email it to them. They can them create their chart using the shapes with the smartboard software and print it or show it on the screen for assessment.
3. I am providing a template for some class worksheets. Students will be able to use the template to type and electronically submit their work instead of writing it out.
4. I have created a pvlearners webpage as a portal. One of the links is a calendar of the homework assignments to which they can subscribe and add to their pvlearners page. I also have a link to the vodcasts I have created explaining some of the assignments.

That's all I have been able to think of in 4 days! Please add a comment with any ideas you have for your classes so I can get some more ideas. I am all thunk out at this point.

6 comments:

Jeff Billings said...

You got it Judi - homework all done online. What a great way to start the process of interfacing with students in the digital world - you will engage them, rather than enrage them. I call what you're doing "Bridge" - method for bridging the bricks with clicks. You can read more about "Bridge" and there's a small presentation on the concept at:

Bridge

Jeff Billings said...

I also wanted to comment on another function inherit in the Google Apps of pvlearners.net. Specifically, shared docs/sheets, where users can work on a document or sheet at the same time. This is powerful for collaboration, real time data/analysis, and the like. I believe I've invited everyone as a collaborator in the play area of a shared sheet. Have fun - think about the possibilities....Jeff....

MsK said...

1) I presented pvlearners to 6 teachers at our last staff meeting stating that it was an integrative effort to communicate with our students both on an academic and social level. (Since teaching social skills is paramont to our special campus curriculum) I think releasing a teacher's email address to students, with the assumption it is a "direct connect" with the teacher, is an point in itself. We of course, must be mindful there is a whole special arena of professional, social contact.

2. I edited my online testing sites (quizstar/united streaming) to now send test results to pvlearners which really organizes this environment as my total student portal. Student HW, Communication, Testing. I set up folders for each student to collect thier work...which could be added to their student portfolio when the semester is completed.

(This sounds like I'm so organized... geesh..my desk is worse than Judy's!)

Jeff Billings said...

Wow, that's great Debbie - exactly and more what I was hoping for. So, from third party online resources, you have the results sent to the student's accounts directly. I love it....;-)

Judith Gerdin said...

I am drowning in a lack of time to implement the technology. Perhaps we could form a group of the 'piloting' teachers to share some time next year on ways we are implementing (and overcoming) the problems we are facing with pvlearners/googleapps. For example, I had two lessons foiled this week because of the system limitations. First, the notebook software for SmartBoard was not installed on our computers (I thought it was.) Second, google apps apparently do not do venn diagrams. Anyway, my frustration level is high, but I would appreciate to brainstorm and problem solve with other teachers who are doing the same thing with instruction. Something for which to look forward?

MsK said...

I hear ya Judy...most of my posts are after 11PM! I got a break today and went home early and am accomplishing SO much! Interestingly 5 students emailed me @pvlearners to ask questions since I'm not at school! well I guess now we can run but we can't hide! Who's idea was this!? haha

Yes I'd love to all get together some time this summer when we have clear heads...May is already... a blurr...